Coming from college

College students make up a significant part of the student population at Stirling, and are studying on a whole range of different subjects. They like the supportive environment, beautiful campus and friendly atmosphere that we're proud of. They come from different backgrounds and use a range of different courses to come to university:

If you don't see your course listed, get in touch so we can help you find the right route for you.

Ask a question

‌SWAP access courses for mature students

A lot of our mature students study an access course before coming to university. Access courses are designed specifically for anyone who has been out of education for a while and has few or no formal qualifications.

The University of Stirling is a long-standing member of the Scottish Wider Access Programme (SWAP) and works across the East and West regions to support students in any way we can.

There's a SWAP route into every one of our undergraduate degrees. They're all listed in the SWAP progression routes documentation. Talk to your lecturer or SWAP office to find out more. Alternatively get in touch with Tracey Kerr, our Widening Participation Manager who is happy to help out.

There's more advice and details of the kind of support you can get on our mature student pages.

HNC and HND students

HNC and HND students can apply for year one of all of our degrees. We usually ask for students to pass the whole course and obtain B’s or above in their graded units, with the exception of our Law degrees where we look for As. Some of our degrees ask for specific subjects, so if you don't have these then you would have do to an HN course in that specific subject – e.g. a Science-based HN course for entry into our Biological and Environmental degrees. If you already have the subject requirements then your HN course can be in any subject, although we'd recommend you studied something in a related field to improve your study skills. Check our course pages for more details.

HNC and HND students might be able to choose whether to come into year one or get what is called advanced entry (or articulation) into year two or year three of some of our degrees. This depends on what you're currently studying at college and what you want to study at university. Mainly advanced entry would be into a degree in a related subject to your college course. The decision is yours, but we're here to help.

Advanced entry isn't possible for all degree courses so you should check to find out what's available before you apply. You can find out more on our Articulation pages or get in touch with our Widening Participation Manager for advice.

Other college courses

Most students use either a SWAP course or HNC / HND course to come to the University from college but they aren't the only qualifications we accept. We'll also consider other courses, including BTEC courses and highers programmes. Get in touch if you're not sure if your course is ok and we'll check it out for you.


© University of Stirling FK9 4LA Scotland UK • Telephone +44 1786 473171 • Scottish Charity No SC011159
Portal Logon