Researcher FAQs

Researcher FAQs

Contact Information

The Academic Liaison and Development Team are your contacts within Information Services for all eLearning and Library related matters. You find our contact details on our team page: . For matters outside of eLearning and Library then use this link: NEED HELP? Contact Us.

FAQ - Information

How do I find whether the Library takes my journal?

A: The first place you need to check is the Library catalogue.  You carry out a Title Search on the catalogue using the title of the Journal you are interested in. Then select Journals from the drop down box.  Then select Submit to carry out the search.  The catalogue will tell you whether we have the printed journal in stock or whether we have access to the electronic version of the journal.  It will also tell you what years we have access to.

How do I find information on a particular subject?

A: Use the Subject Research guides that we have prepared on every subject at Stirling.

How do I get the most out of databases?

A:  Use the More information icon available from the A-Z Online Resources to get more information about search a specific database. For Advanced Search help see the Search Techniques pages.

How do I keep up-to-date?

A: There are various ways to keep up to date, e.g. journal contents alerting services, RSS feeds, saved searches, search alerts, citation alerts. 

Twitter - see our Guide on how to use Twitter for research, JISCmail, etc

How do find information about research ethics?

A.  Have a look at our guide on research ethics

FAQ - Data Management

I don't want to lose my research data tomorrow?

A: Your data is the life blood of your research. If you lose your data recovery could be slow, costly or even worse, it could be impossible. Therefore, through the course of your research you must ensure that all your research data, regardless of format, are stored securely, backed up and maintained regularly.  See the Stirling web pages on Keeping Data safe

Data management is important: where do I start?

A:  See Stirling's Research Data Management web pages

What is a data management plan?

A: See the Planning for data pages

 I need lots of processing power what should I do?

A: Please contact to talk over your requirements

FAQ - Collaboration and Networking

I would like to hold online meetings with colleagues at other institutions?

A: There are a number of ways to collaborate with colleagues including Blackboard Collaborate, Skype, and the phone system. All are detailed at the Collaborating page.

I want to collaborate with colleagues on proposals, paper, conference presentations

A: A good place to start is the Handbook of social media for Researchers and Supervisors. After deciding which tools are best for your needs you can go ahead and sign-up for these tools and start working but be aware of the questions that you should ask of a third-party service provider, especially free services. Some of the tools listed in the guide are available via the University. In particular, you can have a blog set up in WordPress. Contact the Information Centre with the name you'd like and your blog with get the name assuming no-one else has already made that choice. Advice on most Web 2.0 tools can be sought from your ALDT contact.

I would like to send a large document?

A: The University has a file drop facility designed to enable the exchange of files too large to be send by email. The file drop pages details the various email limits: File drop facility. The are also a number of external services that perform a similar function the most well known is probably Dropbox. See our advice on using Drobox

Who else is working in my area?

A: and LinkedIn would be good places to start. has around 2million registered users and is share papers, monitor their impact and follow research in a particular field. LinkedIn is mainly used for professional networking and is mainly used outside of the Academic Community.

How do I access the network when at other HE/FE?

A: The Eduroam service is available at participating institutions and allows connection to the internet at those institutions using your Stirling email address and then your password. Full details of eduroam.

Can I use my University computer from home?

A: The answer is yes. The details are given in Working from home


What is RMS

 A: RMS is the University’s Research Management System. An RMS supports the management of research information and activities along the entire research life cycle - starting with the initial idea, then into grant applications and contracts, up to the projects and their resulting outputs.  Stirling’s RMS plays an important role in enabling the University to support the management, development and promotion of research activity.


For more information and guides on the RMS see:

What is STORRE

 A: STORRE (Stirling Online Research Repository) is the University’s Open Access repository.  STORRE makes the full-text of the research publications of the University’s researchers freely available on the web with the aim of maximising the visibility, citation, usage and impact of our research outputs.


For more information and guidance  on submitting to STORRE via the RMS – see


How can I publicise my publications on the web?

 A: One of the aims of the University’s RMS (see RMS FAQ above) is to provide a streamlined, simplified mechanism to manage your personal profile on the University website.  The RMS allows you to create a comprehensive record with detailed information of publications and other research outputs and provides easy methods of harvesting publications data from external databases to update your personal profile.


For more information and guides on the RMS see:

What is open access?

 A: Open Access is the provision of free, unrestricted online access to research outputs (typically of publicly-funded research). In general, for Open Access it should be possible to freely read the published research in an electronic format and search for and re-use the content of published outputs provided this re-use gives proper attribution to the original.


The UK Government has accepted the findings of the Finch Report which recommends that the UK move towards Open Access publishing for research outputs. In response the Research Councils UK has produced a policy on access to research outputs.

Does the University pay APC (Article Processing Charges)

A:  The University has a draft policy and has set up an APC fund


© University of Stirling FK9 4LA Scotland UK • Telephone +44 1786 473171 • Scottish Charity No SC011159
Portal Logon