Skip header navigation

The University of Stirling and Europe

What does the EU Referendum mean for you?

On 23rd June 2016 the UK voted to leave the European Union (EU). There is no immediate change for you as a student. The funding for EU students from the Scottish Funding Council continues at this present time.

Are you a prospective student?

As a University with a global outlook, our degrees will continue to be recognised by employers worldwide. We’re passionate about diversity and continue to build on our reputation as a global institution. The UK is a member of the European Higher Education Area and this is unlikely to be affected by whether we’re in or out of the EU.

EU undergraduates starting in 2018 or 2019

The Scottish Government has confirmed that if you’re an EU undergraduate student enrolling in the 2018/19 and 2019/20 academic years, you’ll be entitled to free tuition fees in Scotland. You’ll be able to benefit from free tuition for the duration of your four year degree.

EU postgraduates starting in 2018 or 2019

If you’re planning to study a postgraduate taught course in the 2018/19 or 2019/20 academic years, you’ll still be eligible for the same tuition support as Scottish students for the duration of your studies. What does this mean? Just like Scottish students, you’ll need to pay a fee to join our postgraduate courses, but you’ll also be able to apply for student funding and scholarships available for Scottish/EU fee status students.

See individual course pages for specific fees or view our scholarship and funding opportunities.

Are you looking to join as a postgraduate research student?

If you commence your studies in 2018 or 2019, the UK Government has confirmed that you’ll remain eligible to apply for Research Council PhD studentships at UK institutions to help cover costs for the duration of your study. The Research Councils UK (RCUK) currently provides fees-only funding.

Find out more about studying your Postgraduate Research Degree at the University of Stirling.

Scroll back to the top