Sickness absence

Notification of absence

  • You should let your manager (or agreed alternative, e.g. Faculty Office) know if you are ill and unable to come to work on the first day of absence.
  • Where possible this should be within one hour of your normal starting time.
  • Sufficient details should be given on the telephone regarding the nature of the illness or injury to give some indication as to when a return to work is expected.
  • It is also important for employees to keep in regular contact with their Managers thereafter if the absence is for more than one day. 
  • You should ensure that you are aware of and follow any reporting procedures your department has in place.

Fit notes and proof of absence

  • If the period of absence is between 0.5 - 7 calendar days, you should complete the combined return to work/self-certificate form on your return to work.
  • If the absence is for more than 7 calendar days (inclusive of Saturdays and Sundays), then in addition to the self-certification form, you must provide a ‘fit note’ (previously called a ‘sick note’) from your Doctor.

Pay during sickness absence

  • Payment during sickness absence is as detailed within your terms and conditions of service (Grades 1-5 entitlement is based upon your length of service).  Your terms and conditions can be viewed here.
  • You will be given Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) for 28 weeks depending on your weekly earnings.
  • SSP is included when you are paid your full salary. When you receive half pay, SSP will be paid on top.
  • If your pay is due to change, e.g. reducing to half pay, then you will receive notification in writing
  • It should be noted that when calculating periods of full pay and half pay, any sickness absences in the preceding 12 month period are taken into consideration.

Returning to work

  • When you return to work you should have a return to work meeting with your manager.
  • This allows opportunity to discuss the absence and any work updates required.
  • If absent for a long period it may be recommended you return on a phased basis, this would normally be arranged in consultation with your HR Partner and Occupational Health.

Occupational Health

The University of Stirling OH Service is proided through NHS Fife and is contracted to provide an occupational health service for the staff of the University.  NHS Fife provides an independent and confidential service and provides a range of services to detect, assess and help control the causes of occupational ill-health and to assist and support employees with health problems affecting their work capabilities.  In discussion with your manager and/or HR you may be referred to occupational health, or you may also self-refer.  More information can be found here.

Additional information

Further guidance is available within the Sickness absence management policy.

© University of Stirling FK9 4LA Scotland UK • Telephone +44 1786 473171 • Scottish Charity No SC011159
Portal Logon