Employment of temporary agency workers

When is a temporary agency worker is required?

  • To cover staff absence for example long term sick leave, or maternity leave.
  • To cover brief unplanned increases in workload or absence, where cover cannot be provided by an existing member of staff.
  • When a position proves difficult to recruit for and a temporary member of staff can provide cover

Who do I contact?

 Pertemps - Tel: 0131 225 7531

What information do I need to provide the agency when I phone?

  • Job title
  • Faculty/Service Area
  • Brief Job Description
  • Hourly rate and the corresponding grade (the agency will have a copy of our pay scale)
  • Estimated duration of the placement
  • The name of the hiring manager and individual/s who can approve the signing of timesheets
  • Hiring manager contact details
  • Cost Centre

Key things to remember

Once you have registered your vacancy with the agency they may post your vacancy on their website.  If you do not want them to post your vacancy please make them aware that you would like them to source an individual that they already have registered on their books.


It is advised that all line managers sourcing a Temporary Agency worker should read the University Temporary Agency Worker Guidance and follow the steps detailed to ensure compliance with the regulations.

Notification form

Once a Temporary Agency Worker is in place a Temporary Agency Notification Form must be completed and returned to HR & OD.

If you have any queries regarding the placement of agency workers within the University please contact a member of the HR Service Centre

© University of Stirling FK9 4LA Scotland UK • Telephone +44 1786 473171 • Scottish Charity No SC011159
Portal Logon