News 2016-17

Saturday 24th September

Mixed results as squads are almost finalised for the new season. The 1st XI progressed through to the 2nd Round of the William Hill Scottish Cup with a 2-1 victory over Clachnacuddin. Goals from Geddes and Gillen were enough to see past the Inverness based side. The 2nd XI had a fantastic 4-1 win over Ormiston in the East of Scotland League, with McCaughie, Collins, Burgess and Mitchell grabbing the goals. A battling performance from the 3rd XI was not enough to pick up any points against Grangemouth Rovers, who were 2-0 winners in the Stirling & District Premier Division. Our 4th XI were given a tough draw away to Clermiston Star in the East of Scotland Cup, and the home side progressed with a 6-1 win, with Johnston providing the only goal.

Wednesday 28th September

BUCS arrived back for our teams with mixed fortunes for our four sides in action. A fantastic result for the 2nd XI as they defeated Strathclyde University 1st XI 3-2, with goals from Burgess, Mcaughie and Mitchell. The 3rd XI battled against a strong University of Glasgow 1st XI and found themselves at the end of an unfortunate 2-0 defeat. It was derby day at Airthrey were the 4th XI came up against old foes in the 5th XI, and it was the former who took all three points in a 2-0 victory. Maclean bagged both goals in this Scottish 5B fixture.

Saturday 1st October

Four sides were in action as league and cup fixtures returned, with plenty of goals featuring in all four games. The 1st XI will feel extremely disappointed not to walk away from their Lowland League fixture at Preston Athletic with the three points. Having led the game 3-1 with goals from Geddes, Moyes and McCafferty, the home side managed to turn it around and come out on top to win the game 4-3. Contrastingly the 2nd XI had a resounding 8-0 victory at home to Tweedmouth Rangers, with Dey (3), Burgess, McCaughie, Mitchell, Underhill along with an OG on the scoresheet. A late collapse away to Edinburgh Harps saw the 4th XI tumble out of the Scottish Amatuer Cup. Having gone 3-1 up through goals from Monteith (2) and Johnston, they couldn't hold on and were eventually defeated 4-3. The under 20s meanwhile got their Development League campaign off to a flyer with an emphatic 9-1 victory at home to Edinburgh City. Goals from the rout at the Gannochy came from Cowley, Miller, Kane, Borcz (2), Baber (2) and Emmott (2).

Wednesday 5th October

All six of our sides were in action as the 1st and 6th teams got their BUCS seasons underway, while our other four sides played their second fixture in the competition. The 1st XI welcomed a strong Birmingham 1st XI to the Gannochy and managed to play out a 1-1 stalemate, with Hunter grabbing the goal. The 2nd XI continued their winning ways with a tremendous 4-1 victory at Robert Gordon 1st XI, with Ball, Mitchell, Underhill and McNaught on the scoresheet. The 3rd XI faced a tough Aberdeen 1st XI at home, and Hodges goal wasn't enough as the away side won the game 2-1. More joy however as the 4th XI produced a dominant display to thrash Queen Margaret 1st XI 6-1. Goals came from Johnston (2), Coates (2), Maclean and Ross. A tight game for the 5th XI against Napier 3rd XI ended in a brilliant 3-2 victory with Watt (2) and Fulton grabbing the crucial goals. The 6th XI also found joy with a 1-0 victory against Edinburgh 5th XI at Airthrey, with Knott claiming the decisive goal.

Saturday 8th October

Four teams were involved in matches this weekend, with all the action at home. The 1st XI came away with all three points in their 3-1 Lowland League victory against Edinburgh Uni, with Geddes grabbing another two goals and Jones with the other. A tough East of Scotland league test with Heriot-Watt Uni for the 2nd XI finished in a 3-1 loss as a Burgess goal wasn't enough to stimulate a second half fightback. A thrilling 6-1 victory for the 3rd XI however saw them progress to the next round of the Matheson Trophy. Goals from Hodges (2), McGregor (2), Brown and McGuire were too much for Stirling Amateur FC. The 4th XI completed the action for our teams this weekend, although a narrow 2-1 loss to Syngenta sees them knocked out of the Matheson Trophy in round one.

Wednesday 12th October

A fantastic day at the office in BUCS as 5/5 teams in action come out victorious. The 1st XI kicked off the success with a 1-0 win away to Nottingham thanks to a Bonar wonder goal. Burgess was the hero for the 2nd XI as his perfect hat-trick inspired the team to a 3-2 victory over Napier 1st XI, having gone down two nil early in the game. The 4th XI continued the winning trend in style as they thumped Napier 4th XI in the BUCS Conference Plate. Goals in the 10-1 route came from Johnston (3), Miller (2), Coates (2), Mackay, Baber and Maclean. The 5th XI meanwhile progressed in the same competition as they overcame Edinburgh 7th XI 4-2. Stevenson, Jenkins, Martin and Craig got the goals. Completing the clean sweep was the 6th XI who beat St Andrews 4th XI 2-0 as fresher's Taylor and Harwood-Yeo found the net.

Saturday 15th October

Four teams represented the uni today in cups and leagues with mixed fortunes. The 1st XI tumbled out of the SFA South Challenge Cup after a 2-1 loss to Edinburgh Uni, with Nixon grabbing the goal. A McCaughie wonder strike was enough to secure a 1-0 victory for the 2nd XI away to Peebles in the East of Scotland League. The 3rd XI also faced an early cup exit at the hands of Hermiston Vale, the game ending 5-0 in the East of Scotland Amatuer Cup. Finally the 4th XI picked up three points against Glenvale with a 3-1 win. Johnston found the net twice while Muirhead got the other.

Wednesday 19th October

The return to BUCS saw all four of our teams in actions picking up impressive wins. The 1st XI kicked the victories off with a 1-0 away to Loughborough thanks to another Bonar goal. The 2nd XI meanwhile overcame Abertay 1st XI 1-0 through captain Ball. The 3rd XI found their first win of the competition as doubles from McKenzie and Hodges gave them a 4-2 win over Dundee 1st XI. The 4th XI completed the clean sweep with an incredible 11-2 victory against Napier 3rd XI. Maclean (5), Muirhead, Anthony, Johnston, Ross, Baber and an OG completed the scorer-list.

Saturday 22nd October

Five teams were in action as the U20s continued their fine form with a 6-2 defeat over Lothian Thistle thanks to goals from Emmott (3), Miller, Collins and Munro. Our 1s lost their Scottish Cup Second Round tie against a strong Arbroath side 3-1, with Geddes on the score sheet once again. Our 2s travelled to Coldstream in the league and came away with a point in a 2-2 draw, with Beaton and Dey grabbing the goals. Our 3s departed from the JF Colley Cup after losing 4-2 to Callander as Chan and McGuire goals were not enough to force a comeback. Our 4s also lost in tough conditions to Kincardine, the league game finishing 5-2 to the home side.

Wednesday 2nd November 

A return to BUCS after reading week saw all six of our sides return to action. Our 1s faced a tricky test at home to Loughborough 1s, who were 3-0 winners on the day. Our 2s however continued their winning ways with a fine 2-1 victory at Strathclyde 1s thanks to goals from Burgess and Ball. A 5-3 loss to Heriot-Watt 1s saw our 3s exit the last 16 of the cup, with McGregor and McGuire (2) scoring the goals. Another convincing win for our 4s saw them thrash Napier 3s in the cup 8-1, Anthony (2), Baber (2), Miller, Johnston, Coates and an OG all on the scoresheet. Our 5s progressed into the next round of the cup thanks to Craig, Stevenson and Errington goals in a 3-1 win over Heriot-Watt 3s. Finally a cup win for our 6s away to Robert Gordon 3s, with Joe Taylor scoring the only goal of the game in a 1-0 victory.

Saturday 5th November

Five sides in action this weekend with some tough league fixtures in difficult conditions. Our U20s maintained their 100% record with a fine 3-1 win over Preston. Borcz, Collins and Mooney with the goals. Our 1s failed to overcome Whitehill Welfare in the Lowland League as the match ended 4-2 to the home side, with goals from Hunter and Byrne. A home game against Tynecastle for our 2s ended in a 3-0 victory for the away side. A late goal from Bo'ness meant our 3s suffered a 4-3 defeat in heavy conditions, Bernardo, Chan and McGuire scoring the goals. Finally our 4s failed to come away with anything in their home fixture with Maddiston who won the game 4-1, the goal scored by a trialist.

Wednesday 9th November

Wednesday saw a return to BUCS for all six sides with some tough games both home and away. Our 1s travelled to Birmingham and suffered a heavy 8-1 defeat as Faulds managed the only goal. Our 2s ended their 100% win record but still forced a 1-1 draw at home to RGU 1s through a McCaughie goal. A disappointing 6-1 defeat against St Andrews 1s for our 3s as McKenzie grabbed the only goal. A late kick off away for the 4s against Heriot-Watt 3s ended in a dramatic 6-4 victory as Johnston (2), Muirhead, Baber and Higgins scored the goals. Another draw saw the 5s battle out a 2-2 with QMU 1s as Gray and MacDermid scored at the Gannochy. The 6s also drew at the Gannochy with Heriot-Watt 4s, Danny Taylor scoring in the 1-1. Thursday night saw Pitch 1’s first ever Lowland League game as the 1s hosted East Kilbride in the cup, however the match finished 2-1 to the away side after Geddes equalised the scoring late on.

Saturday 12th November

Two sides in action this weekend, the 2s home to Coldstream and the 4s away to Central Albion. Our 2s narrowly lost out in a tense game which ended 4-3 to the away side as McNaught (2) and Burgess got the goals. Our 4s however came away with a fantastic 5-0 victory thanks to goals from Muirhead, Monteith, Johnston and Trialist (2).

Wednesday 16th November 

Five teams returned to BUCS action yesterday, including a Stirling derby at Airthrey. The 1s couldn’t get past a stern Nottingham 1s side and the match finished in a goalless draw. The 2s marched on in their title challenge with a fine 3-1 at Napier 1s thanks to Burgess (2) and Mitchell. A fantastic win for the 3s in the dying minutes saw them overcome Glasgow 1s 3-2 with goals from McGuire, Collins and a McKenzie penalty. Finally a massive upset in the 5B Stirling derby as the 5s completed a stunning 4-0 win. MacDermid, Watt, Martin and Pitman found the net in the upset.

Saturday 19th November

Two teams were in action this weekend as the other two fixtures were unplayable due to poor conditions. It was a good three points on the road for Shelley's men as they take a 1-0 win at Albert Park against Hawick in tricky conditions, with Ashe on the scoresheet. For the 3s, a league loss to a strong Polmont outfit. 4-1 to the away side with our goal coming from a McGuire penalty.

Wednesday 23rd November

Four teams returned to BUCS action as the 3s game away to Aberdeen and the 6s game away to Edinburgh were cancelled due to the poor weather. South of the border, the 1s got a much needed three points in a 1-0 victory over Northumbria through a McCafferty free kick. The 2s however were not so lucky in their British Cup tie away to Sheffield, losing 2-1 in controversial circumstances, with Burgess on the score sheet. The 4s extended their lead at the top of the 5B with a stunning 8-1 win over Queen Margaret. Johnston (3), Maclean, Miller, Bernardo, Coates, Hodges among the goals. In the earlier kick off, The Starfish drew 2-2 with Napier 3s at Ainsle Park, with Fulton & Stevenson scoring the goals.

Saturday 26th November

Only one game surviving the freezing temperatures yesterday as the 1s played out a 0-0 draw at home to Dalbeattie Star, another crucial point in a long Lowland League season.

Wednesday 30th November

BUCS returned for 5 sides, with the 1s match resulting in a disappointing 1-0 defeat to Durham in the early kick off. The 2s will have to wait until next year to clinch the title as they drew 2-2 with Edinburgh, with goals from Burgess and Mitchell. The 4s eased past Edinburgh College as Johnston (3), Cowley and Maclean completed a 5-0 rout. The 5s were defeated 2-1 at Heriot Watt as Martin got the only goal, while the 6s remain unbeaten thanks to a 4-1 victory over Heriot Watt. Skipper Grimmer and Mackenzie grabbing two each.

Saturday 3rd December

Back to league action with two games on Friday and three on Saturday. The 1s managed a 2-2 draw with Cumbernauld Colts through Bonar and Jamieson goals. The U20s picked up their first defeat of the season with a 3-1 loss to Tynecastle, with Collins on the score sheet. On Saturday the 2s picked up three points as they overcame Peebles 3-2, two more goals for Burgess and another for Mitchell. The 3s also took all three points by beating Bonnybridge 3-1 through Bernardo, McGuire and Corfield goals. The 4s completed a perfect day with a 5-3 victory over Kincardine thanks to Ross, Mackay, an own goal and a Wilson double.

Saturday 10th December

Three games took place as the festive period draws nearer, starting on Friday night. Our u20s came away from Broadwood with a 3-3 draw, with goals from Shiels, Borcz and MacLean. Our 1s also drew 3-3 on Saturday at home to Selkirk, Geddes, McCafferty and Bonar scoring the goals. Finally our 3s lost 2-1 to Callander, McGregor getting the goal.

Saturday 28th January

Four results today across the university teams, starting with a fantastic 4-2 victory for the 1s over Gretna, with goals from McCafferty, Bonar and Geddes (2). The 2s picked up a well-earned point with an impressive 3-3 draw with Lothian Thistle thanks to a Burgess hat-trick. A tough game at home to Bo’ness Cardora for the 3s ended in a 3-2 loss, Chan and Lamond scoring the goals. Our 4s suffered a heavy 7-1 defeat at the hands of Maddiston as captain Johnston grabbed a consolation goal.

Wednesday 1st February

A disappointing 5-1 loss to Northumbria meant our 1s finished 5th in the BUCS Premier North, Bonar getting the only goal. Results elsewhere meant our 2s were once again confirmed as the number one university side in Scotland after sealing the 1A despite a 3-0 loss to Abertay. Our 3s claimed an emphatic 3-1 win over Dundee to seal their 2A status as McGuire grabbed a hat-trick. Our 4s completed a 12-1 rout against Napier and went nine points clear at the top of the 5B. Johnston (5), Maclean (3), Baber (2), Anthony and Emmott were on the score sheet. Finally an important win for our 6s as they defeated Edinburgh 3-1 through Taylor, Mackenzie and Mansfield goals. BigBucsWednesday did not disappoint!

Saturday 4th February

Two games over Friday and Saturday as the U20s and 4s picked up vital wins in their respective leagues. The U20s overcame EduSport Academy 3-1 at Ainsle Park through two Emmott goals and one from skipper Monro. The 4s picked up their three points in a 3-2 win over Central Albion as captain Johnston scored a late winner.

Wednesday 8th February

Three results to report from Wednesday’s BUCS action across just two fixtures, beginning with our 1A champions. The 2s unfortunately ended their BUCS campaign with a 2-0 loss at Edinburgh. The BUCS Shield Quarter Final finished 7-2 as the 4s beat the 6s. Emmott (2), Anthony, Baber, Johnston, Coates and Maclean with the goals for the 4s, Harwood and Grimmer for the 6s.

Saturday 11th February

Just two games surviving the weather this weekend as both the 1s and 4s picked up brilliant victories. The 1s left it late to beat Spartans 1-0 as Geddes scored an 87th minute winner, while the 4s overcame Kincardine 3-2 as Johnston scored his 30th of the season.

Wednesday 15th February

Three BUCS fixtures yesterday, all coming against Heriot-Watt. An intense affair at the Oriam ended in a 3-0 loss for the 3s, with the 6s picking up a point at home thanks to Goodlad’s goal in a 1-1 draw. The 5s picked up the only win of the day with a 4-1 victory, with goals from MacDermaid (2), Craig and Gardner.

Saturday 18th February

Four games were played over the weekend, with two victories and two losses. The 1s overcame Gala at Falkirk as MacEwan got the only goal in a 1-0 win, while the 2s won convincingly at home to Eyemouth. May, Mitchell, McCaughie and an OG contributing to the 4-1 win. The 3s were however defeated in the Matheson’s Cup as they lost 6-1 to Grangemouth, Solomons scoring the only goal. The 4s also lost as Denny beat them 4-3 in the 1A.

Wednesday 22nd February

Two cup games were played on Wednesday, however both ended in defeats. The 1s lost 2-0 away to Cardiff in the BUCS Championship QF, while the 5s lost 4-0 to Strathclyde in the Conference Cup SF.

Saturday 25th February

More cup action as the U20s beat East Kilbride 4-3 with goals from Emmott (2), Collins and Baber. The two-leg affair did however end 6-5 on aggregate to East Kilbride. The 1s travelled to league-leaders East Kilbride in the league, with the home side taking all three points in a 5-0 victory. The 4s also lost away to Tillicoultry as the game ended 3-0.

Wednesday 1st March

Three results from today as the 3s, 4s and 5s were all in action. The 3s conceded a late goal at the Gannochy, with the game agonizingly ending 1-0 to the travelling St Andrews side. The 4s all but secured the league with a fine 6-2 win over Heriot-Watt. Johnston (2), Anthony, Baber, Coates and Maclean on the score sheet. The 5s also picked up three points with a 5-1 win at QMU through Jenkins, Gardner and a MacDermid hat-trick.

Wednesday 8th March

Three results yesterday from four games as the 5s had their meeting with Edinburgh College abandoned, after going 1-0 up through Scott's goal. Our 6s drew 4-4 in a dramatic encounter with West Lothian College at the Gannochy, with Goodlad, Scott, MacKenzie and Underhill scoring. Our 4s reached back to back finals as they overcame Edinburgh 5-2 in the cup, as Maclean (2), Wilson (2) and Baber scored. Finally our 1s progressed into the Queens Park Shield semi-final after beating St Andrews on penalties, with the game finishing 1-1.

Saturday 11th March

Three games played across Friday and Saturday with some positive results. Our U20s showed fantastic spirit to beat Preston after going 3-1 down, with the game ending 6-4 through goals from Kane, Borcz, Mailer and an Emmott hat-trick. Our 4s however faced a tough test at top of the league Beechwood, with the home side winning 4-0. Finally our 2s picked up all three points in a dominant 6-0 win over Burntisland through Burgess (2), Ball and a McCaughie hat-trick.

Wednesday 15th March

In the penultimate BUCS Wednesday of the season, our 4s secured back to back titles despite a 2-0 loss to Edinburgh College. Our 6s meanwhile picked up three points at Edinburgh University, with Mackenzie, Underhill and Manuel scoring in the 3-1 win. Finally a friendly between our 3s and 5s ended in a 4-1 win for the former, with goals from Whittam, Brown, McKenzie and Logue for the 3s, and Martin scoring for the 5s.

Saturday 18th March

Three games played over Friday and Saturday involving our U20s, 2s and 4s. Our U20s couldn’t overcome BSC Glasgow, with the home side winning 2-1 after Collins found the net. Our 2s also lost on the road, losing 5-1 in a tough test in the King’s Cup quarter final at Tynecastle. Finally our 4s faced a challenge at home to Loganlea, with the away side proving too strong in a 4-1 win.

Wednesday 22nd March

Fantastic day of football for the uni, especially for those wearing the famous green jersey for the final time. The 4s secured the double double in style as they beat Strathclyde in the Conference Plate Final, with Baber, Johnston and Muirhead scoring in the 3-2 win. The 3s picked up an empathic win on their travels, coming from behind to beat Aberdeen 5-2. Goals came from Corfield and Chan in their last game for the club, with McGuire, Hodges and Bernardo also on target. The 6s finished off a wonderful day with a 3-2 win at Heriot-Watt, with goals from Harwood, Greenhorn and Mackenzie.

Saturday 25th March

Four results from Friday and Saturday, with two wins and two losses. Our U20s kicked off on Friday night against a strong East Kilbride side, who won the game 4-3 at the Gannochy. Goals came from Bonar, Collins and Borcz. Our 1s picked up three points in a 3-0 victory at home to Whitehill Welfare, while our 2s also picked up three points in a comprehensive 7-0 victory at Burntisland. Our 4s however lost in their league meeting with Pennies.

Wednesday 29th March

Action from Tuesday and Wednesday, beginning with our U20s who defeated Tynecastle 1-0 last night, with Collins scoring the only goal of the game in a much needed home win. Earlier today our 1s marched into the Queens Park Shield final with a 2-1 win over Heriot-Watt as Moyes and Leigh found the net.

© University of Stirling FK9 4LA Scotland UK • Telephone +44 1786 473171 • Scottish Charity No SC011159
Portal Logon