General student FAQs

1.Now that the University has changed the marking scheme, how do I translate my current grades into percentages?

Only those grades that will be used for the honours classification will be translated to percentages i.e. current 3rd year student grades. You can see how this is worked out below:


Equivalent Classification






































No more ‘countable’ grades for honours classification purposes

 Students will be able to see the translation of their grades from the start of autumn semester 2014.

2.I am an exchange student here for one semester and have failed a module, what happens next?

Our regulations state that students are permitted reassessment opportunities.  The study abroad team within International Affairs will liaise with students to confirm the arrangements.

3. If I appeal my module or dissertation mark, how long until I know the outcome and will this impact on when I can graduate?

If there are any factors which are affecting your studying prior to undertaking or submitting your dissertation such as illness, grievance, financial or relationship problems then contact your module co-ordinator or supervisor. Informing your faculty of such issues well before submission will ensure that appropriate support mechanisms can be put in place to support your studies. This may also help avoid the appeals process in the first place.

If you decide to appeal your honours classification, or the award of an Ordinary degree you can still graduate with the lower award.

4. I failed my undergraduate dissertation, if I resubmit will I get dissertation supervision?

Where the dissertation or equivalent is failed and a resubmission is required, this must be submitted within three months.  No fee is payable.  When resubmitting, there is no formal supervision.  However, students must be provided with one feedback session (with their supervisor) and written feedback sufficient to know what needs to be improved.

5.How many credits do I need to progress into honours?

There is no longer any formal “Admission to Honours” process.  Students are admitted to the university with the intention of completing an honours degree, and the student will progress from year to year as long as they meet the minimum criteria:

                                                Expected                     Minimum* 

Entry to year 2                        120 credits                  80 credits

Entry to year 3                        240 credits                  200 credits

Entry to year 4                        360 credits                  320 credits

*NB: A student with a fail in a module which is a prerequisite to a core module in the next year of study will be required to take leave of absence and pass the failed module before progressing to the next year of study. 

If there are serious progression problems, a student may be recommended to complete an ordinary degree and it should be noted that a student who chooses to proceed to the next year with only the minimum credit requirement, will have a significant workload ahead if they are to catch up.

6.Do you have information specifically for International students? If so, where can I find it and who can I talk to if I have problems?

If you are an International student requiring information or looking to speak with a member of staff, our ‘Study in the UK’ accessible here will help you. We also have an International Advising Team who can help with VISA/immigration issues; they are based in Room 2Z2 in Cottrell and can be emailed at

7.I am here as a study abroad/exchange student, where do I go to get information and who can I speak to if I have a problem?

Our ‘study abroad’ page accessible here: has application information, course module information and associated costs. If you have any further questions, that you can’t find answers to on the webpage, get in touch with the study abroad team by emailing

8.I want to change my programme of study, how do I do this?

An adviser of studies is an academic member of staff with formal responsibility for offering advice and guidance on academic matters and will be able to give you information on how to change your programme of study.

9. Where can I find out more about the summer academic programme?

Each summer, the University offers the opportunity for full and part-time undergraduate students to take additional credit through the Summer Academic Programme, an accelerated semester delivered during June and July. More information can be found at:

10. I am having problems enrolling, who can I speak to?

If you are having problems enrolling then our online support pages which can be accessed here: might be able to help you. If you’re still having difficulties, please contact the Enrolment and Records team, in Cottrell 2Z2, or email:

11. I want to take a leave of absence from the university, how do I do this?

Your adviser of studies is there to support you in making this decision and will be able to explain your options and direct you to further support available. If you have explored your options and still want to take a leave of absence then you should write to Student Programmes. Contact details can be found here:

12. I am going to be absent from the university, who do I inform?

Information on the University’s attendance policy and information about what you should do if you are going to be absent from the university can be found at:

13. If I have not received my student loan or if I am struggling to manage my finances, who do I speak to?

The University has a Student Money Advice team dedicated to supporting students.  Information, contact details and appointment times can all be found here:

14. I need help with my assignments, who do I speak to?

There are a number of people you could approach should you need some advice on an assignment. In the first instance, you could approach your lecturer or seminar tutor. Your personal tutor and your module co-ordinator may also be able to help you.    Student Learning Services (SLS) can also offer confidential advice. You can sign up a half-module, attend one of their drop-in workshops, call in for individual advice at a drop-in session or make an appointment for a one-to-one tutorial. More information can be found at:  


15. I am having personal problems and would like to speak to someone, what are the next steps?

You could meet with your personal tutor or the Students’ Union to talk this through and information can be found here:

The University’s Student Development and Support Services are there to help you through every aspect of your personal life at the university. More information including who and how you can contact someone direct or by email can be found here:

16. I am worried about a friend or another student, who can I speak to for some advice?

The University recognises that you may face non-academic issues where you need some expert help or guidance and there are lots of ways we can help you in your day to day life at the University but there may also be times where you worry about another student. In such cases, you can speak with your personal tutor or the Students’ Union initially or go direct to Student Development and Support Services for advice. Contact details can be found here:

17. I am having problems with my accommodation, who can I speak to?

Residential Services are a team dedicated to helping ensure things run as smoothly as possible with regards to accommodation at whatever stage in your university career. For more information including ways to get in touch with the team visit their web page at:

18. I need help writing my CV and looking for a job, is there anyone that I can speak to?

The University has a dedicated team of friendly and professionally qualified career development advisers available to help with planning your career and study options, including advice on graduate job search, CVs and applications, job interviews, graduate selection tests and just about anything career related. More information can be found at:

19. Who do I contact if I am looking for some specific advice in relation to disability, health or dyslexia and the help available at the university?

The University’s Disability Service takes into account the full range of needs of students in a wide variety of circumstances including - physical and mobility difficulties, sensory impairments, specific learning difficulties including dyslexia, medical conditions and mental health difficulties. They also support students who have short-term, temporary impairments or other difficulties as a result of an accident, injury, illness or surgery. More information including how to get in touch with the team can be found at:

20. I want to appeal a module or assignment mark, how do I do this and who can give me some advice?

There is no right of appeal against the academic judgement of examiners on an assessment outcome or the level of award recommended or granted, when this judgement has been applied according to established procedures.  Essentially this means it is not possible to appeal a mark, but you can appeal a decision which was taken subsequent to the mark e.g. termination of studies, the requirement to take leave of absence, etc.

If you think your overall module mark has been miscalculated, please contact the school office in the first instance. 

If you have failed an assignment, essay or module, please speak to the module coordinator for feedback, you might also want to contact Student Learning Services for help with essay writing.

The University’s appeal policy which states the grounds for appeal is available here:  Your adviser of studies can be contacted for advice.

21. I want to make a complaint about the university, how do I do this and who can give me some advice?

Whilst the University is committed to providing a high quality service, there may be times where a student, member of staff or member of the public feels that their expectations have not been met. Information on the University’s complaints procedure and who to speak to if you need advice can be found at:

22. How do I find out the opening hours of the library and study spaces available?

The library opening hours can be found at:

23. I am an international, study abroad or exchange student and need some help on registering with a bank, who do I speak to?

Our A-Z of Student Life provides information on local banks and how to open an account:  If you have any problems or require further advice you can get in touch with the University’s International Office at

24. I am looking to rent accommodation off campus, where would I find more information?

Information including who to contact if you need a bit more advice can be found here:

25. I am new to Stirling and want some general information about bus times and local attractions, where could I find this?

Our A-Z of Student Life should provide you with all the information you need including links for more advice should you require this:

26. I’ve been ill and it has affected my examination preparation – what should I do?

If there are any factors which are affecting your studies prior to exams such as illness, grievance, financial or relationship problems then contact your personal tutor, advisor of studies or your module co-ordinator before the exams. Informing the faculty of such issues before the exams will assist them to provide the appropriate support to facilitate your studies.  This may also help avoid the appeal process. 

More information can be found here:

27. I’ve been ill on the day of the exam; around an imminent coursework deadline what do I do about submitting my coursework or sitting my examination?

You can apply for a deferred examination and the policy and application forms can be accessed here:

If you have an imminent coursework deadline then you are advised to contact the divisional office to apply for a coursework extension.

7 August 2014

© University of Stirling FK9 4LA Scotland UK • Telephone +44 1786 473171 • Scottish Charity No SC011159
Portal Logon