MSc Social Enterprise
Social enterprises are becoming an increasingly important engine for economic and employment growth. Our Masters degree has been created to support this dynamic sector.
- Award Masters / MSc, Postgraduate Diploma, Postgraduate Certificate
- Start date September 2021, January 2022
- Duration MSc full-time: 12 months, MSc part-time: 30 months
- Mode of study Part-time, Full-time, Campus based, Stand-alone modules
This Masters in Social Enterprise helps to meet the ongoing challenges of commercial viability, innovation and sustainability. It’s a new and exciting course aimed at professionals working within social enterprises, advisors, officials, development officers and sector representatives. The course is also a good choice for anyone wishing to develop a career or an interest in social enterprise.
With a focus on the things that matter to social enterprises, you’ll learn how to deliver excellent service and high social value, build and maintain stakeholder support, secure funding, and measure and communicate success. These are set in the wider context in which social enterprises operate, including political, market and community contexts. With flexibility built into the course, you can opt to gain expertise in specific sectors or functional areas of business depending upon your own personal requirements or the needs of your organisation.
The MSc course offers opportunities to gain specialised expertise in key sectors such as health, social care, housing, education, sport, culture and the environment, or in key functional areas such as finance, HRM, marketing, public relations or operational management. The in-built flexibility of the course means that these aspects can be tailored to the needs of each individual student. Prior learning and experience will be fully assessed and accredited.
The course culminates with a supported project to conduct research and development within the social enterprise sector in Scotland and beyond.
If you’re interested in studying a module from this course, the Postgraduate Certificate or the Postgraduate Diploma then please email Graduate Admissions to discuss your course of study.
In the Social Work and Social Policy unit of assessment for the 2014 Research Excellence Framework:
- 24% of our overall research activity was assessed to be world-leading
- 78% of our overall research activity was assessed to be internationally excellent or world-leading
- 99% of our outputs were assessed to be internationally recognised, internationally excellent or world leading
- 100% of research environment factors assessed as internationally excellent or world leading
- 100% of our research impact was assessed as world leading or internationally excellent
- The work of more than 90% of our researchers was assessed
- We were judged to have the 2nd highest research power in Scotland and 13th highest in the UK
- We ranked 17th overall in the UK and 3rd in Scotland for our research, with a grade point average of 3.01 (out of 4).
The Faculty of Social Sciences has attracted considerable sums of external research funding from Research Councils, Government, independent and charitable funders, and from the European Commission.