MSc Big Data (Online)
This is a two year online course designed to equip you with skills in big data technology, advanced analytics and industrial and scientific applications that will lead to a job in in the growing data science or analytics fields.
- Award Masters / MSc
- Start date January 2021, June 2021, September 2021
- Duration 24 months
- Mode of study Online, Part-time
Big Data skills are in high demand and they attract high salaries. If you want to become a data scientist, this is the course for you. The MSc Big Data at the University of Stirling is a taught advanced Master's degree covering coding skills, the technology of Big Data and the science of data analytics.
The syllabus includes:
- Mathematics and Statistics for Big Data
- Python scripting
- Business and scientific applications of Big Data
- Big databases and NoSQL including MongoDB, Cassandra and Neo4J
- Analytics, machine learning and data visualisation using Python, Orange and ScikitLearn
- Cluster computing with Hadoop, Spark, Hive and MapReduce
- Student projects including possible internships with companies or technology providers
This is a 100% online course which gives you the opportunity to study in a way that suits your personal and professional needs. A combination of video lectures, live sessions and online materials are used to teach this course enabling you to access them whenever is the right time for you.
On successful completion of this programme, you should be able to demonstrate:
- an understanding of the issues of scalability of databases, data analysis, and search
- the ability to choose the right solution for a commercial task involving big data, including databases, architectures and cloud services
- an understanding of the analysis of big data including methods to visualise and automatically learn from vast quantities of data
- the programming skills to build simple solutions using big data technologies such as MapReduce and scripting for NoSQL, and the ability to write parallel algorithms for multi-processor execution
There are opportunities for students to carry out their three month summer dissertation project as a placement with a company or technology provider.
If you’re interested in studying a module from this course, the Postgraduate Certificate or the Postgraduate Diploma then please email Graduate Admissions to discuss your course of study.
Our team of academics in the department of Computing Science and Mathematics investigate novel and effective approaches to dynamic and uncertain real-world problems in complex systems and environments. They explore the interdisciplinary connections between computer science, mathematics, life sciences, social sciences and management.
We work collaboratively with a number of organisations, including The Data Lab (Scotland’s Data Science Innovation Centre, which supports students with funding, networking and routes to employment) and the Scottish Informatics and Computing Science Alliance (SICSA), to ensure our students have the best platform to succeed.
What our students said
MSc Big Data
Read Suprith's storyStudying MSc Big Data at Stirling helped me learn more on advanced technologies, research works, new opportunities in the field of data science, and interpersonal skills. As part of the course, I did a placement with the Epidemiology Research Unit (FISH VET GROUP) as a Data Scientist Intern.
MSc Big Data
Read Beth's storyThe Big Data course was very well designed. The range of topics and technologies covered meant that students gained a basic knowledge in a variety of areas which can be further expanded in a future career.
MSc Big Data
Read Jinmo's storyWhat firstly attracted me to study Big Data at Stirling was the well-structured nature of the course. I like that I can get a general and practical understanding of the Big Data field.