Self-isolation (quarantine) information for international arrivals

If you are coming to Stirling from outside the UK, you may need to self-isolate for 10 days on arrival. Please read all of this information thoroughly so you understand what is expected of you.

Latest guidance on international travel and self-isolation (quarantine)

A traffic light system has been introduced for international travel. If you are travelling directly from overseas to Scotland you must check the Scottish Government website for the most up-to-date information on travelling to Scotland. When you arrive in Scotland from abroad what you must do depends on:

  • where you’ve been in the 10 days before arriving in Scotland
  • whether the country or area you’ve travelled from is on the red, amber or green list

If you are travelling into Scotland from a country on the Scottish Government red list, there is a requirement for managed isolation in a quarantine hotel at a cost of £1750. We are currently working closely with the Scottish Government to explore the possibility of the University of Stirling being authorised to host students from red listed countries in our own University accommodation as part of the managed quarantine scheme. This means that on arrival into Edinburgh or Glasgow airports, students would be transported directly to Stirling rather than having to go to a government-managed hotel and you would be fully supported by University staff in our accommodation during your 10-day (11 nights) quarantine period.  

We hope this new scheme will be approved in the next couple of weeks and we will share more information as soon as possible, including costs. We expect that the costs will be substantially less than those charged at the government managed quarantine hotels. If you are an international student travelling from a red listed country and are interested in being supported in University-managed accommodation for your quarantine period, please complete this form as soon as possible.

You can only travel to the UK from a “red list” country if you’re a British national or you have residence rights. People with residence rights include those travelling to the UK on a valid Student Route visa. Further details are available on the Scottish Government website

Traveling abroad for leisure and holidays remains discouraged.

Contact the University

  • If, for essential purposes, you must travel to campus accommodation, (for example your home location is unsuitable for study or you need to access health and wellbeing support), you must notify us before you travel by emailing so that we can understand your circumstances and provide support.

Check if you need to quarantine

  • If you are travelling directly from overseas to Scotland you must check the Scottish Government website for the most up-to-date information on travelling to Scotland and managed isolation (quarantine).

Make travel arrangements

Make sure that you keep up-to-date with local travel restrictions in your own country that may affect your travel plans.

If you develop coronavirus symptoms while travelling, you must inform the crew or driver on your plane, train, boat, bus or taxi and they will tell you what to do next.

You should only use public transport for your arrival if you have no other option. You can pre-book a taxi from the airport/train station in advance using Stirling Taxi’s online system

When travelling to Stirling, whether by public transport or taxi you must wear a face covering by law. If you think you are exempt from wearing a face covering, e.g. on health grounds, please check the latest guidance on wearing face coverings.

See more information on travelling to Scotland and getting to Stirling.

Arrival at your accommodation

You must know where you are coming to and have information about your accommodation on hand. You will need your address and contact details for your passenger locator form. You should keep a copy of this information on you when you are travelling.

You must familiarise yourself with the detailed quarantine guidance and make a plan for your 10 day self-isolation period. You may be asked about this when applying for a visa.

University accommodation

You will be invited to choose a booking slot for your arrival. These booking slots will be accessible via your student portal once you have completed your online induction. We will be there to give you access to your accommodation. See further information about arriving at University accommodation.

Private accommodation

If you're moving into private accommodation, you should contact your landlord to make arrangements for a safe stay.


Provide your journey and contact details

You need to provide your journey and contact details before you travel to Scotland by completing the UK Government Passenger Locator Form 48 hours before you arrive.

You must have organised where you are going to be staying for at least the first 10 days, before you travel.

Manage your money

You cannot leave your accommodation when you are in quarantine. You need to make a plan so you have money to buy essential goods and services online, like groceries, takeaway foods and other deliveries. Make sure you have a credit card, debit or prepaid debit card, with sufficient funds to see you through your first few weeks. 

If you experience financial difficulty

The current situation can cause financial pressures for students. For information on ways the University can help you check out the money support page, or contact the Money Advice team by emailing

If you are worried about paying your rent you can contact the accommodation team by emailing to discuss and review your payment plan.

Make a self-isolation plan

Before travelling to the University of Stirling, you must have adequate proof that you will be able to self-isolate for 10 days, away from vulnerable people, and with access to the necessities of life. This may be asked for during the visa application process.