Did you know
- 69% of employers have rejected a candidate because of what they found out online
- 68% of employers have specifically recruited people because of what they see online
See the following pages for advice on using these sites in your job hunting and career research.
- Search for yourself online, what will an employer see about you? Add in additional search terms if your name is quite common. And don’t forget to do an image search - check where you are being tagged in your friends photos!
- Clean up your online presence. Remove or make private anything you don’t want an employer to see.
- Sell your profiles – join in debates and discussions on LinkedIn, link to potential employers, make interesting and engaging comments and show off your potential.
The University of Stirling has an active alumni group on LinkedIn, they also run a number of networking and reunion events throughout the year. Find out more about the alumni office and its work and how you can get involved.
Most professions will have a professional body or membership organisation that will provide networking opportunities, courses or skills sessions where you will be able to find out more about the sector. Check our occupational information for more information and links to these bodies.