The Scottish Political Archive
The Scottish Political Archive (SPA) was launched in October 2010. SPA aims to collect political material and archives from Scottish politicians and political organisations to chronicle the political history of Scotland in the twentieth and twenty first centuries. Currently the archive comprises seven collections:
- The Scots Independent Newspaper photograph collection: this collection contains photographs of prominent Nationalist figures and campaigns since the 1960s, as well as images of other Scottish politicians and cultural figures. These images are available though the archive Flickr site.
- The George Robertson Archive: George Robertson was Labour MP for Hamilton from 1978 to 1998. He was Secretary of State for Defence 1997-8 and then Secretary-General of NATO from 1999-2004. His collection contains material from all stages of his career.
- The Bruce Watson collection: Bruce Watson was SNP chairman from 1945-47. The Watson collection contains 200 separate items related to Scottish nationalism such as pamphlets, policy documents and election materials.
- The Devolution Referendums Oral History Collection: which contains interviews with local and national campaigners from the devolution referendums of 1979 and 1997. These interviews have led to the collection of photographic and ephemeral material relating to the two referendums.
- The Scottish Election 2011 Photo Archive: this is an online archive of photos, leaflets, posters and campaign material from the 2011 election.
- The Dennis Canavan Collection: Dennis Canavan was Labour MP for Stirlingshire West then Falkirk West from 1974-2000, then MSP for Falkirk West from 1999-2007. The collection relates to his time as MP/MSP and his role in the campaign for a Scottish Parliament.
- Federation of Student Nationalists: This collection contains minutes, correspondence, leaflets and other associated material donated by the FSN.
SPA is under the direction of Senior Lecturers in History & Politics, Dr. Peter Lynch, Dr Jim Smyth and Dr Eric Shaw. To contact SPA please email email@example.com
More Information & Impact
For more information about the work of SPA please visit the archive website at www.scottishpoliticalarchive.org.uk To view our image archive please visit Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottishpoliticalarchive/ To keep up to date with information about the archive like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/scottishpoliticalarchive