The following is a list of recent and current projects being undertaken by Language and Linguistics staff:
- Devolving Diasporas: Migration and Reception in Central Scotland (AHRC): conversational discourse analysis of reading group discussions of diasporic literature in Scotland and transnationally.
- Healthcare Interactions: pilot study investigating healthcare interactions in the NHS from a conversational analytical perspective.
- Documentation of Bolivian Chipaya (Volkswagen Stiftung): documentation and description of the endangered language Chipaya (part of the DOBES project).
- Interlacing Two Worlds: The Creation of a Colonial Quechua Verbal Art (AHRC): exploration of the language of Christianisation in colonial Peru.
- Learning Chinese as a Second Language: interdisciplinary project using eye tracking to investigate the impact of different writing systems on second language acquisition.
- Food Labels and Inter-cultural Confusion: a study exploring translation issues caused by differences in expectations of accuracy and detail in food labelling.
- Global English Communication Gap: an investigation of the efficacy of English by non-native speakers in business negotiations.
- Bilingual Policy in Xinjiang: a sociolinguistic comparative evaluation of the bilingual policy of the Chinese government in Xinjiang.
- Cross-situational Learning in Children (British Academy): an experimental study exploring the development of cross-situational word learning strategies in young children.