David McClure RSA RSW RGI

(1926-1998)

Red Studio by David McClure
Red Studio
(Oil on canvas, 1967)

Born in Lochwinnoch in 1926, after initially studying English and History, and working in the coal mines during the war, David McClure graduated in the early 1950s from Edinburgh College of Art where his contemporaries included Blackadder, Houston and Michie and where he similarly came under the various influences of the major Edinburgh figures of the time; Redpath, Gillies, MacTaggart. In his early career he spent significant periods working in Spain, Italy, Sicily and Norway and taught at Duncan of Jordanstone from 1957, retiring in 1985 as Head of Painting, a post he took over from his great friend and colleague Alberto Morrocco. There are two works by this artist in the collection.

Previous                                                           Next

Back to Artists

 

 

© University of Stirling FK9 4LA Scotland UK • Telephone +44 1786 473171 • Scottish Charity No SC011159
Portal Logon