(Bronze, 1/7, 1959)
Born in Wakefield, Barbara Hepworth attended Leeds School of Art 1920-21 then studied sculpture at the Royal College of Art, London (1921-24). Visits to France, where she met Picasso and Braque amongst others, had a profound effect and she also acknowledged the influence of Brancusi. She moved to St Ives in 1939 and worked with a variety of materials - stone, wood and marble - but during the 1950s also increasingly in bronze, which led to the creation of works on a much larger scale. This artwork was part of the Scottish Arts Council bequest.
This work is situated in the courtyard adjacent to Gallery1 in the Pathfoot Building.