(Oil on canvas, 1975)
Born in Lanarkshire, David Donaldson studied at Glasgow School of Art 1932-7 and taught there part-time 1938-44, and full-time from 1944. He was a highly influential Head of Drawing and Painting there from 1968 and Her Majesty's Painter and Limner in Scotland from 1977. He was well known for his still life and landscape paintings as well as literary, biblical and allegorical subjects. He was also a leading portrait painter.
This artwork was part of the Scottish Arts Council bequest.