Welcome to the first update from the University of Stirling Enhancement Theme Group.
The University of Stirling is heavily engaged with the current QAA Enhancement Theme. As part of this, a University QET working group is increasing the profile of this work and disseminating relevant information and resources. This update is part of this initiative.
The current QAA Enhancement Theme focusses on student ‘Transitions’ (2014–2017). Full details about the theme and institutional engagement can be found on the QAA Enhancement Themes website.
The 13th annual Enhancement Themes Conference is being held in Edinburgh on Thursday 9 June. Registration opens 3 May 2016.
University of Stirling activity
The University of Stirling is actively engaged with the QAA enhancement theme. Staff and the Students’ Union are represented on the university working group and we also have students involved in this work at National level.
At Stirling we are currently supporting five ‘transition’ projects related to the student lifecycle. The University is also engaged with an additional seven SELF projects covering a broad range of activities. A range of these projects will be presented at the University’s Learning and Teaching Conference.
We have also been contributing case studies to the QAA ‘Transitions Map’. An Enhancement Theme Project Officer has been appointed to co-ordinate the work and act as the point of contact for the ‘transitions’ work.
Highlights from the first year:
- Mapping of good practice across the sector
- Shared resources to develop work
- Outputs from commissioned projects on ‘Transition Skills’ and Corporate Parenting
- High levels of student engagement from the University of Stirling
- Individual institutional plans and projects for developing the Theme
How can you get involved?
- Submit a case study to demonstrate the good practice in your division or service area.
- Attend the University of Stirling Learning and Teaching Conference: Changing Places: Student Transitions in Higher Education. Professor Veronica Bamber will give the keynote address and students will be talking about their transition experiences. Registration now open
- Attend the QAA Enhancement Themes conference on 9 June 2016 in Edinburgh.
- Speak to students about their experience of transition into, through and out of the University
- Send us ‘Student Success Stories’ that highlight the importance of successful transition.
- Look out for the University of Stirling Enhancement theme web site.
Contact email QETheme@stir.ac.uk
Ann Russell: Enhancement Theme Project Officer
Tim Whalley: Chair of the Enhancement Theme Institutional Working Group
Ruth Watkins: Member of the Theme Leaders Group
Stef Black: VP Education, Students’ Union