Welcome to the MSc Finance course.
We hope you are looking forward to starting your Masters degree at the University of Stirling Management School. We welcome you to our beautiful campus.
We welcome you to the Stirling Management School (SMS) community and look forward to meeting you when you begin your studies. Teaching on your course begins with the Flying Start Leadership Programme when you will engage in a range of activities designed to ensure your transition into University life is smooth, enjoyable, stimulating and stress free.
Got a question?
If you have any questions about the course, please contact the Programme Administrator, Allison Butler, who will be happy to answer any questions or queries you may have.
Please do not purchase any books until your course starts, as the suggested readings may change.
Note, some of the titles below are available as audio books, so helpful for listening when multitasking.
- Adam Smith, (1776). The Wealth of Nations. Any of the various reprints, Audio, or Kindle versions.
- Peter L. Bernstein, P.L. (2005). Capital Ideas: The Improbable Origins of Modern Wall Street, Wiley.
- Kent Baker, & Victor Ricciardi (2014) Investor Behavior: The Psychology of Financial Planning and Investing. Wiley Finance Series.
- Greenwald, B.C.N., Khan, J., Sonkin, P.D. and M. Van Biema (2001) Value investing: From Graham to Buffett and Beyond, Wiley Finance Series.
- John Kay’s books and articles including Obliquity
- Mervyn King (2016). The End of Alchemy: Money, Banking and the Future of the Global Economy. WW Norton.
- Michael Lewis (2014). Flash Boys. New York: WW Norton & Co.
- Michael Lewis (2010). The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine. New York: WW Norton & Co. (also a good movie).
- Michael Lewis (1989). Liars Poker. New York: WW Norton & Co.
- Other books by Michael Lewis
- Joseph Stiglitz (2017) The Euro and its Threat to the Future of Europe. Penguin Books.
- The Financial Times Newspaper – online at ft.com
- Yanis Varoufakis (2017) Adults in the Room. Bodley Head.
Textbooks used in the MSc Finance Modules:
For Corporate Finance (INVP001)
- Hillier, D., Ross, S., Westerfield, R., Jeffrey Jaffe, J. and Jordan, B. (2020). Corporate Finance, European Edition. McGraw-Hill International Edition. [We normally use the latest editions when teaching, however, earlier editions will suffice if you can gain access to the updated problem sets for tutorial exercises].
- Aerts, and P.J. Walton Global Financial Accounting and Reporting: Principles and Analysis. Latest available edition, Cengage Learning EMEA.
- CFA Institute Investment Series but especially:(1) Robinson, Henry, Pirie and Broihahn, International Financial Statement Analysis, John Wiley & Sons CFA Institute Investment Series, 3rd edition 2015.
- (2) Pinto, Henry, Robinson, and Stowe, Equity Asset Valuation, John Wiley & Sons CFA Institute Investment Series 3rd edition 2015.
For Financial Reporting (INVP002) and Financial Statement Analysis (INVP007)
For Economics for Banking and Finance (BFIP025)
- Sloman J.,D. Garrat and J. Guest, Economics, 10th Edition 2018, Pearson.
- Asteriou, D. and S.G. Hall 2016 Applied Econometrics, 3rd Edition, Palgrave – Macmillan.
- Chris Brooks 2019, Introductory Econometrics for Finance, 4th Edition, Cambridge University Press.
- CFA Institute Investment Series (3) DeFusco, McLeavey, Pinto, Runkle and Anson, Quantitative Investment Analysis, John Wiley & Sons CFA Institute Investment Series, 3nd edition 2016.
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P., and A. Thornhill Research Methods for Business Students, latest edition, FT/Prentice Hall.
For Quantitative Methods in Finance (BFIP013), Introduction to Research Methods (ACCP008), Empirical Methods in Finance and Accounting (ACCP008) and the Dissertation (FINP005)
For International Corporate Finance (FINP013)
- Madura, Jeff & Fox, Roland, International Financial Management, 3rd or later edition, Thomson, 2014 or later if available.
- DePamphilis, D. 2013, Mergers, Acquisitions and Other Restructuring Activities, Academic Press.
For Mergers and Acquisitions (FINP014)
- Hull, J., Options, Futures and Other Derivatives (8th edition or later), Prentice Hall, 2012, or later if available.
Investments: Equity Portfolios and Pricing (INVP012) and Investments: Fixed Income and Alternative Investments (INVP013)
- Bodie, Z, Kane, A and Marcus, A J, Investments, latest edition (details to be announced).