As part of your application, we require you to create and submit a ten minute video on the scenario we have outlined below, which will be reviewed by staff within the Faculty of Health Sciences.
Before you begin, please note that if you have applied for a Nursing course and the Paramedic Science course and if your application proceeds to stage 2, you must submit two videos and you will receive a different scenario for each.
All information will be handled and stored in line with University and professional guidelines relating to confidentiality, as well as GDPR principles.
What you need to include in your video
You need to record a video of yourself talking about the following three components:
- Tell us why you want to be a paramedic
- Tell us, in your opinion, what the key messages are from the HCPC Standards of Conduct, performance and ethics
- Give a response to the following scenario by telling us what your thoughts are about the situation and what actions you might take:
You are sitting in a café and hear two people who you know are student paramedics discussing the fact that a patient, James Herald, was recently involved in a road traffic accident, sustained some significant injuries, but is now recovering well. As you hear this conversation, you realise that they are talking about someone you know.
- What are your thoughts about this situation?
- What would you do in this situation and why?
How to structure your video
At the start of your video you will be required to hold proof of your photographic ID up to the camera so we can confirm your identity by comparing this against the identification you have uploaded via your applicant portal. If you have not already uploaded identification to your applicant portal, you must do this now and this should be as follows.
- Photographic ID (e.g. Passport, Driving Licence with photograph)
- Proof of Address – must be dated within 12 months (e.g. front page of utility bill, mobile phone bill, bank statement)
- Birth Certificate
- Proof of Immigration status (if applicable, Home Office letter, Valid visa page)
- Marriage Certificate (if applicable)
- Divorce Certificate (if applicable)
- Academic Qualification Certificates (for those qualifications already gained)
To activate your account you need to go to our Portal and enter your student number and date of birth. You will then be able to access the Portal directly or via the My Portal link at the top of our website.
Read this statement to camera
You must read the following statement to the camera before you begin your response to the scenario. Please replace with your own name, student number and date of birth:
My name is Stuart Winters, my student number is 3010420 and my date of birth is 01/Jan/1981. Here is my photo ID (hold ID To camera for 5 seconds and ensure it is not blurry). This video is submitted as part of my application for the Paramedic Science course and I will be answering the following scenario: You are sitting in a café and hear two people who you know are student paramedics discussing the fact that a patient, James Herald, was recently involved in a road traffic accident, sustained some significant injuries, but is now recovering well. As you hear this conversation, you realise that they are talking about someone you know.
Read and answer the following to camera
- I want to be a paramedic because ... (give your answer to the camera)
- In my opinion, the key messages from the HCPC Standards of Conduct, Performance and Ethics are … (give your answer to the camera)
- My answer to the scenario is ... (give your answer to the camera)
Your video should be no longer than 10 minutes. You should ensure that you give adequate time to answer the three parts and we would advise you aim for three minutes for each. Your video and the assessment of your answers will be stopped at the 10-minute mark whether it has ended or not.
If you have any issues or queries, please email us at email@example.com and we will respond as soon as possible.
How to submit your video to us
You will have received an email from us which will states the submission date that you need to send us your video by. If we do not receive your video by the date advised, we will withdraw your application.
Please ensure you review your video to ensure it meets all the criteria outlined above and only submit your final version when you are sure it is complete.
You need to submit your video to us via Microsoft One Drive (due to the size of your video you will be unable to email this directly to the University as an attachment). If you already have One Drive then please upload your video there and then follow our instructions on how to share the video with us. If you do not have One Drive then please follow our instructions on how to set up One Drive. Please ensure that you have set up your OneDrive well in advance of your submission date so there are no issues with sending the link to us.
How to set up One Drive
- Go to the Microsoft One Drive website
- Select the option ‘Sign up for free’
- Select Create a Microsoft account
- Type in your email address and a password you wish to use then click ‘next’
- You will then receive a verification code which you will be required to enter to create your account
- Once you've verified your account then you will have your own One Drive
How to share a video with us on One Drive
- Go to the Microsoft One Drive website
- Select the option ‘Sign In’
- Click on ‘My files’ tab on the left hand side corner
- Click ‘Upload’ followed by ‘Files’
- Select the video file you wish to upload followed by ‘Open’
- Once this is done the video will add onto your files showing a message ‘Uploaded 1 item to My file’ on the left hand side corner
- Click on the video followed by ‘Share’ on the left hand side corner
- Click ‘Anyone with this link can view this item’. Do not set a password or an expiration date
- In the ‘email address’ box enter firstname.lastname@example.org. In the message box, please make sure you include your full name, date of birth and student number. After this is done, please click ‘Share’.
If you are having difficulties with the process please do get in touch via email to email@example.com and our admissions staff will be able to assist you.
What happens after you submit your video
A team of staff, clinicians and service users will view your recording and decide about your suitability for the BSc Paramedic Science. If you applied via UCAS, you will be able to see on your UCAS track if you have been successful or not once your video has been reviewed. If you applied directly, you will see this on your applicant portal. Due to the volume of applicants, we will be unable to provide feedback.
If you no longer wish to continue with your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org requesting that we withdraw your application.