I joined the Centre in 2016 having taken up a post in the Division of History and Politics at the University of Stirling. Previously, I was a Professor at the University of Manchester in the School of Arts, Languages and Cultures.
I conduct interdisciplinary research bridging history, archaeology and social anthropology. My research interests include: cultural identity and ethnicity; archaeology and the modern nation-state; monuments, memory and place; the social life of things; heritage management and conservation, authenticity and social value; the material, social and environmental history of urban public parks; and community heritage.
Recent research projects have focused on the experience of authenticity, approaches to social value, conservation practice, and community digital heritage. Since 2010 I have also been conducting research on the material, social and natural histories of urban public parks. I am currently writing a monograph with Dr Tom Yarrow (Durham University) based on a collaborative ethnography of conservation practice within Historic Environment Scotland.
My research has impacted on heritage management and policy, and I have collaborated with a range of external heritage organizations including: Historic Environment Scotland, the National Trust for Scotland, English Heritage, the Council for British Archaeology, and Archaeology Scotland. I’m currently a Trustee for Archaeology Scotland and on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Community Archaeology and Heritage.
For further detail on research projects see:
I am interested in supervising students in the following areas:
- Monuments, memory, identity and place: historical, biographical and anthropological approaches
- Cultural heritage and its role in producing and negotiating modern identities (national, regional, ethnic, class and local communities).
- The conservation, management and representation of cultural heritage (especially conservation philosophy and practice, cultural significance and authenticity)
- The use of participatory community practices in heritage and archaeology (including co-design and co-production methodologies)
- The history of archaeology (with respect to the development of the nation-state, European colonialism and ideas about 'race' and nation).
For my publications see here.
Telephone: +44 (0)1786 467589