Born in 1916 in Broughton-in-Furness, Robin Philipson moved to Scotland in 1930. He studied at Edinburgh College of Art (1936-40), becoming a lecturer there in 1947. He was a significant and influential presence on the Scottish Art Scene for more than three decades. He had numerous commitments as Head of School of Drawing and Painting at Edinburgh College of Art and eventually President of the Royal Scottish Academy but was above all a practising painter. He was strongly influenced by Gillies and Maxwell, with whom, amongst others, he shared membership of the group known as The Edinburgh School.
There are four works by Philipson in the collection.