Care Experienced and Looked After Young People

Thinking about university?

If you are thinking about going to university there is help at hand. Tracey and Amanda are our dedicated advisers and are here to help care experienced students with all aspects of your journey from advice on the right qualification to get in, how to apply and what support is available. We can even arrange for you to come and see us. All contact is confidential and impartial.
There is more information on our website, or you can contact our advisers at / 01786 467046.

Paying for your studies

If you normally live in Scotland, you will most likely qualify for funding from the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). Funding for a full-time course is usually: fees (paid direct to the University), a student loan and maybe a bursary (which you don't have to repay) or a bursary (Nursing only). Find out more
If you are part-time, you may qualify for a fees grant (paid to the University) Find out more

If you are from England, Northern Ireland or Wales you should get in touch with Student Finance England. Find out more.

If you are not sure about what funding you might get, Student Money Advice can provide information.

Your social work department may also help if you are still supported by them. There is the possibility that they may pay for your accommodation.

Information and help at any stage

If you are looking for information about support available whilst at university, email and your enquiry will be directed to the appropriate member of staff.

Tel: 01786 467080
Location: 4Y4 Cottrell Building

A few specific things:


The standard contract in university accommodation is for 38 weeks so you don't have to move out during the Christmas holidays or other mid-semester breaks.  The University can also guarantee 365 day accommodation.  You can find out more by contacting Accommodation Services.

If you are looking for private rented accommodation, start with Stirling Digs, the official Stirling Students Union housing website.


Care experienced grant - if you are funded by SAAS, you might be eligible. Find out more about the Care Experienced Grant

Budgeting - Student Money Advice has links to tools to help you manage your money and also runs workshops. We can also work with you individually.

Discretionary funds - if you are struggling financially or there's a short term difficulty, you may get a grant from one of the discretionary or student assistance funds.

Information and advice from other students

STEER is a straightforward, informal way for you to receive extra help and advice about living and studying at the University of Stirling from student mentors who have already successfully completed their first year. It is open to all first year students.

Once you've successfully completed first year, you could volunteer to be a mentor yourself.

Need to talk to someone?

Listening is one of the key things the counselling team do. They can talk with you about any issue you might have.

Study skills

For information and support on all kinds of academic issues (assignments, referencing, presentations, that sort of thing) check out Student Learning Services.


We won't pass on your details to any third party without your consent. That includes any support worker or carer you might have.

In general

We are committed to meeting the needs of care leavers and we have been awarded the Buttle UK Quality Mark for our action plan. If you are a care leaver or work with young people in care, we would be very pleased to hear your views on what we do and ideas for new things we might do. You can use our feedback form.

© University of Stirling FK9 4LA Scotland UK • Telephone +44 1786 473171 • Scottish Charity No SC011159
Portal Logon