CO-ORDINATOR: Dr Tim Whalley
Prerequisites: The Animal Cell (BIOU6AC)
The aim of this module is to provide an in depth account of the biology of stem cells, the molecular control of the cell cycle and what happens when growth control is aberrant.
1) Stem cells: what are they, what do they do and how do they do it?
2) The cell cycle; regulation by protein kinases and protein destruction; cell cycle checkpoints.
3) Aberrant cell cycle control and its consequences; cancer biology.
• Knowledge of the mechanisms controlling stem cell biology, the cell cycle and cancer
• The development of skills in Powerpoint design and public presentation
• Note taking and use of library and internet resources
• Presentation using Powerpoint
Scheduled Teaching: 23 hours
Independent Study: 77 hours
Placements: 0 hours