The aims of the Institute for Retail Studies (IRS) are to:
- act as a centre for and to carry out academic and applied research into the retail industry;
- provide a resource base for academic and industry-based researchers;
- be involved directly in teaching students about the operation of retailing and processes within the industry;
- provide management development services allowing the dissemination of academic research and global best practice to professional management in the retail industry;
- create links and contacts with similar institutes in other countries;
- foster and extend links between the University sector and the retail industry.
As the IRS has grown and developed it has increased the portfolio of services that it is able to offer. Currently we offer the following services to the retail and distributive trades:
- Education and Training Programmes;
- Management Development;
- Management Consultancy;
- Study Trips / Site Visits;
- Conference Speaking.
Over the years the IRS has developed an extensive client base that has included:
- National / International Retailers from within the UK, Continental Europe, Asia, South Africa and the Middle East;
- Non Core Retailers (e.g. financial service providers);
- Trade Associations;
- UK National and Local Governments;
- Overseas Governments.
Whether you are an individual looking to continue your professional studies or a company looking to develop an in-company training programme, the IRS may be able to assist you. We are happy to work with large, medium and small companies in sectors as diverse as food, clothing and DIY.
We hope that you find these pages informative. If after browsing you have any queries, please feel free to contact us.
Professor Paul Freathy
Institute for Retail Studies