Be the difference
Stand out from the crowd

Our coat of arms

The University of Stirling's coat of arms dates back to November 1966 and, following application to the Lord Lyon, the University gained its University status by Royal Charter on 27 December 1967.

The coat of arms is reserved for ceremonial purposes, graduation certificates and the Principal and Vice-Cancellor's Office only.

The coat of arms may be described as an arched bridge topped by a tower and surrounded by open books. The bridge may represent a governor or magistrate, the tower safety and guardianship, while the open books have clear associations with learning and knowledge. The imagery portrays the University as an official guardian entrusted with the safekeeping of the process of imparting knowledge, whilst willingly serving the public.

On a more visual level, the three elements of the coat of arms may be interpreted as a reflection of the University’s striking location in a historic Scotland, suggesting as they do Stirling Bridge, the National Wallace Monument and the University itself.

You must always use master artwork when reproducing the logo.

Contact us

Communications, Marketing and Public Engagement

2B10 Cottrell Building
University of Stirling
Stirling, FK9 4LA

marketingtools@stir.ac.uk

© University of Stirling FK9 4LA Scotland UK • Telephone +44 1786 473171 • Scottish Charity No SC011159
Portal Logon